Thursday, January 22, 2015

Perfect Drugstore Dupe for MAC's "Girl About Town" Lipstick

So, I inadvertently found a dupe for one of my favorite MAC lipsticks at Walmart. I picked it up mainly because I love loud pink shades and it seemed appealing from the new display. 

I frequent Walmart enough and peruse the makeup section so that I know when there are new products. I picked up a couple of the new CoverGirl Colorlicious lipsticks, which included the dupe color "Spellbound."

The other color I bought (which I will not be going over in this post) is a mid-tone berry red/wine shade called "Euphoria." 

MAC's "Girl About Town" has long since been one of my favorite MAC lipsticks. I even have the matching lip glass, and nothing says "FUN" more than an electric magenta. 

With Flash
Spellbound, Girl About Town

Without Flash 
Spellbound, Girl About Town
As you can see in these photos, the lipsticks are pretty much identical in color. The formulas are both shiny and mess-free to apply with a careful hand. We all know that with any bright or extremely wild color, you have to be careful not to get the lipstick on your skin or it will stain around your lips. 

With it being winter and all, my lips have been a little on the drier side even with constant use of conditioning lip balm and exfoliating. Seeing as how you are not able to spot the dryness on my bottom lip in these photos proves that the formulas are moisturizing and shiny enough to conceal. Some lighter colored, matte or drier formula lipsticks would show any dry spots or skin on the lip. 

Spellbound
Spellbound
Girl About Town
Girl About Town














MAC's "Girl About Town" is an amplified creme finish, which basically means it's supposed to be creamy and very pigmented.

 I did feel that the MAC lipstick is a bit creamier and has a smoother lasting finish. I hate to say it, but maybe you do get what you pay for in this case. The CoverGirl lipstick was around $5-6 dollars at Walmart, while MAC lipsticks retail at $16. 

The "Spellbound" lipstick formula isn't as creamy and feels a bit drying on the lips after it's been on for about for 20 minutes or so. I kept reapplying it just to make sure the coverage remained flawless because I was worried that it was fading since it didn't feel very full coverage or smooth on my lips for long. It had the greasier texture of the two. 

Would I recommend the CoverGirl shade to you over the MAC one? I think the more affordable price speaks for itself. I love MAC lipsticks, so I wouldn't replace "Girl About Town" in my collection for "Spellbound." But I think "Spellbound" is a good enough lipstick that I'm not disappointed I bought it. I love having both high-end and drugstore items to switch up my makeup with. 

I like the CoverGirl lipsticks enough that I will buy more of them. CoverGirl is probably one of my least favorite drugstore brands, but one of their most redeeming products is their lipstick. 

I hope this review is informative for those of you who are looking for a great bright magenta shade. I think this is a pretty universal one, and I'd easily recommend both brands.

My grading scale for the lipsticks:

Girl About Town: A
Spellbound: B

Until next time...

xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment