Sunday, October 30, 2016

Makeup Forever Ultra HD Foundation: Liquid vs. Stick

I know, I know.. I've been a huge SLACKER lately. My only excuse is that life has gotten in the way, and sidetracked me, and the only way to rectify this is to bombard my blog with a slew of posts. 

I've done a lot of makeup sessions over these last six months that I've been absent, so I am also in the process of getting those up in the Portfolio section of this site. I do vow to do so. 

To kickstart these posts, I'm going to share with you the good, the bad and the ugly on the Makeup Forever Ultra HD liquid foundation and it's counterpart, the Makeup Forever Ultra HD foundation stick. Both foundations are priced at $43, which can be a bit steep if you select the wrong one for your skin type. 

I was fortunate enough to have these sent to me by Influenster to try out and review.  

I'll start with the liquid foundation, which was ultimately my favorite of the two. 

I know that with this being the "Ultra" HD it is supposed to be the "revamped" version of the HD formula Makeup Forever originally sold. I never did try the original formula, so unfortunately, I can't compare it to this new formula. 

The liquid itself is not heavy, and seems to me to be a light to medium coverage. It is buildable, but takes a little work to cover all of the redness on my face. I do, however, like that the lighter coverage doesn't cake on my skin and seems to fill into my pores nicely. Being that it is designed to give a flawless finish and even work well in video and photography, I will say that once set with powder it looks soooo smooth. 

Onto the part that I know you want to know about most of all--the staying power.. 

As you might know from reading some of my other posts, my skin is an oil slick. However, I found that this foundation works great with my oily skin. It doesn't fall short in that department. I have yet to find any fool proof products for oily skin, so I do still use blotting sheetings throughout the day. But this foundation could easily compete with the others I have that are made to specifically combat oily skin. 

Overall, I really like this foundation. I'd definitely purchase it. Aside from having to use a little more product to get the coverage I want, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. I'd also like to point out that Makeup Forever has done a wonderful job at creating a huge variety of shades. I was fortunate that Influenster matched me up so well, but I believe there are over 30 shades to choose from. I'm planning on buying a few of this foundation for mixing to put in my MUA kit. 

Now, onto the foundation stick. 

I honestly was not impressed with it. Much like it's sister, the liquid foundation, the stick gives a beautiful finish. While the liquid is a bit more mattifying, the stick comes off super dewy and looked shiny on my skin once applied. The downside is that this is NOT a foundation for oily skin. Even with using the same setting powder, this one lasted half the time of the liquid. I also found that even when setting it didn't seem to look completely matte, which I need for my oily skin. 

It did seem, though, that the stick had a better coverage. For application I simply swipe a few stripes on each part of my face and then blend with a brush or blender sponge. The color range for the stick is just as impressive, so if you've got a more dry skin type, then I'd definitely recommend trying the stick. I think it would be perfect at making very dry skin look hydrated. 

And since I alway rate everything I review, I'm going to give the HD foundation stick a 2 out of 5. This rating is based purely off of my experience (due to my skin type). I would give it a higher rating if my skin were not so oily. But for someone who struggles with an oily t-zone as bad as mine, this foundation is basically worthless. It might last long enough to do a beat face for an Instagram picture, but that's probably the extent of it. 

I just like that it seems that Makeup Forever has made two formulas, catering to all skin types. 

Have you tried these foundations? Which works best for you? I'd love to hear what some other opinions on these products are! 

1 comment: