Tuesday, October 27, 2015

LUSH Cupcake Fresh Face Mask *Review*

This Cupcake Fresh Face Mask ($7.95) is the first Lush "fresh face" product I've tried. I was lucky enough to purchase it during a mother-daughter outing a few weekends back since we don't have a Lush store near my hometown. 

I went into the store (which was only my second time in a Lush store) pretty dumb about the term fresh face. I didn't even realize that the "fresh face" line was refrigerated, or that it being made with all "fresh" ingredients meant that the expiration was only roughly a month past the purchase date. I'd previously scoured the website and wrote down every product they had that I was interested in trying. I knew I could only get this particular product in stores, but assumed it was just because it was "fresh." Haha.

Lame, I know.




The product by-line states that it was "invented with the teenage skin in mind." And while I'm obviously not a teenager, the mask is said to be good for oily or spotty skin, both of which I suffer from. I have redness/splotchiness and an EXTREMELY oily t-zone. 

The first thing I noticed about the mask was the smell. The chocolatey-minty scent is not unpleasant, but also doesn't smell like a York Peppermint Patty or an Andes Mint. Even though the mask formula is predominately Rhassoul mud for a deep cleanse, there is also spearmint oil for cooling purposes and vanilla absolute for redness. 
When I applied it to my face it was relatively thick, so I spread it as thinly as possible for the first use. I also feel that if you use a thinner coat as I did in my photo on the right, then you'll be able to get a few extra applications out of the tub. 

Another thing I noticed about the mask is that when it dries, if you leave it on for too long, it starts to crumble off your face and can be a bit messy. I actually ended up with a bunch of it dropped all over my shirt the first time I used it. But that's not something that can't be prevented as long as you remove it with a warm washcloth before it gets too dried out on your face. 

The mask itself feels slightly cooling from the spearmint oil, but doesn't burn or tingle like some masks I've used. It actually feels nice. And when it dries, you get the standard tight feeling as per usual with a face mask. 

Overall, I like this mask. I obviously won't be getting it all the time since I don't live close by to a Lush Cosmetics store. But I feel that the mask is definitely worth $7.95, which seems affordable in comparison to some of their other products. 

I also like that the ingredients are fresh and safe for my skin, but there is a downside of that, being that the product has a short shelf life. 

Overall, I am going to give this mask a B. While it seems like a good mask, I hate that there are probably only about five applications worth in the tub. And I also hate that I have to rush to use it so it doesn't expire. The smell is okay, but not the greatest, either. 

Would I purchase it again? Probably, if it were more easily accessible for us small town folk! I'm not sure that it's altered my oily skin in any way from my two uses, but just knowing that it is good for oily and splotchy red skin is enough for me. 

Let me know what you all think of this product if you've tried it, if you have any questions, comments, or requests, and also maybe advise me on some other Lush products I might like! 

xx 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Whitney! This was my first Lush Fresh Face mask I've tried. It caught my attention on their website because of the name, Cupcake... then I was completely sold when I was finally able to go into their store to smell it. It smells D-I-V-I-N-E and sometimes I am tempted to lick it. I absolutely love this mask not only for the delicious scent but also for what it does to my oily / combination skin . I've gone through two tubs of this and will continue to repurchase.

    Rosalyn | Love, Rosalyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see that someone else likes it! I'm dying to try Dark Angel, but they were out of stock in store. I'll probably order it and Coal Face soon, because both are recommended for dry skin. Have you tried either of those?

      Delete