Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Natasha Denona Star Palette: Is it Worth the Hype?


Good evening. 

I know it's been a hot minute since my last post, but I finally have a few days off work for the holidays, and now seems like as good a time as any to play catch-up.. I also realize I have still yet to upload the a lot of my work from the summer and fall. I WILL get around to this. 

But first and foremost, let's talk Natasha Denona, and this Star Palette that's been everywhere lately. 

I hugely debated buying it, but decided to because it was a tad cheaper than the $200+ her other larger palettes are. 
I LOVE makeup. You all know I love makeup. But I'm hard-pressed to pay over $200 bucks for a palette. I have tons of money invested in my makeup and brush collections, but that's a bit steep, even for me. 

However, I would like to point out that I did manage to score this for $135 during the VIB 20% off promo a couple months back.  

Upon arrival, I was very impressed with the packaging and size of the palette. While the price may be steep, you are getting a good amount of product. 

Also, a really cool feature in this palette is the clear sleeve with the shadow names on it. It is actually attached to the inside of the palette, so it won't slide around like most of the clear sleeves palettes come with. This also prevents any glittery or powdery fallout from getting the mirror side of the palette all dusty and dirty. 

Now, let's talk finishes. This palette includes four different shadow finishes: 
  • Crystal: Spectrum, Cosmo, Galaxia, Polaris
  • Creamy Matte: Earth, Flesh, Gemma, Titanium, Diadem, Vega, Phoenix, Electra, Atik
  • Metallic: Bellatrix, Atria, Rhea
  • Duo Chrome: Orion, Supernova 
Left to Right: Spectrum, Earth, Bellatrix,
                Flesh, Orion, Gemma,
              Atria, Titania, Cosmo
So, you can see that you get quite a variety. 

The crystal shadows, I have found, are VERY crumbly because they are pure pigment. I did my own research, then tested them myself, and found they are best applied with the finger. To prevent major fallout, it's best to tap it into your skin rather than rub over the lid. 

The mattes are creamy, but not as much so as Lorac shadows are (in my opinion. 

The metallic textures are probably my favorite. They aren't crumbly like the crystal shadows, can be wet with some Fix Plus to make them really POP, and are currently a very popular finish. 

The duo-chrome shadows are very standard. Pigment is decent, blendability is good, and the colors are pretty. 

I like the color range in the palette. The warm shades are right up my alley with my hazel eyes. 

However, one thing lacking from this palette is a good brow bone highlight shade. I basically can't live without one, so it's a nuisance to have to pull from another palette for a white shade. 
Left to Right: Diadem, Vega, Galaxia,
                               Phoenix, Supernova, Electra,
            Polaris, Atik, Rhea
Here, I have provided you some swatches. And as you can see, the shades are all decently pigmented. There isn't one that's dull. I think my main complaint is just that the textures themselves could be hard to work with if you didn't know either the right techniques or make an effort to play around with them a bit. 

I've seen multiple mixed reviews because some people just don't want to take the time to learn how to work with the product. 

Personally, I don't mind it. I like to get my fingers messy and play around, whether it be makeup or chalk pastels. It's the artist in me. 

However, I find it a little disconcerting that the price tag on these palettes is so high when the formula isn't absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, the best thing we've ever seen. 

It gives me reservations on ever purchasing the $200+ palettes, because is it possible they'd be any better? Who knows! 

The verdict: Would I buy this again? Do I approve? Am I satisfied? Yada, yada, yada.. 

I won't rule it out. The only things I don't love about this palette are the lack of a highlight shade and that something so expensive isn't "effortless" to use. I'm going to give this product a B-. The grade is still passing, but not over the top. I don't regret buying it, and I look forward to coming up with some pretty looks using it. 

As always, thanks for tuning in for another one of my sporadic posts! 

xx, 
Whitney 

No comments:

Post a Comment